Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vivi's Smile

My most favorite moment as a Mom happened yesterday at the doctor.  As hard as it is knowing that my child has a heart defect, it is super fun to see her so often through the shadows of an ultrasound.  Right off the bat at our appointment yesterday, Viv peaked through my placenta and smiled at Rod and I.  It took both of us by surprise to see a smile, but so like her at the same time. The nurse's response was, "it's not normal for babies to smile".  I couldn't help but smirk and remark, "well, she's not normal."

 For me, it was so reassuring to see such a playful smile--she knew we were watching her and I can't help but giggle thinking what a ham she is going to be.  Every time I get to see her, it makes me feel closer to her, and I can't imagine what a freak I am going to be when she is born.  She is currently 13 inches long and 2 pounds 5 ounces.  All her growth and development is on target which is awesome, and she is falling into the 41 percentile.

As far as the fluid in her stomach--it is still there.  Unfortunately, we didn't get the outcome we were hoping for, but it still isn't something that is treated at this point.  My OB didn't see it the first time--he was looking over it after a report was sent from Children's that some was detected.  As it has become the story of our life with Viv, we have to "sit and wait" so to speak, until our next visit to Children's which is May 21.  My OB is going to start performing non-stress tests every other week at my appointment to make sure everything is functioning together the way it should be.  As long as she is still active, he says we are ok!  She is still training for something in there, so I am still not worried.  Everyday is an act of faith--her life is not mine to hold on to.  She is a blessing, and will be whether she lives 3 more days or 300 years. 

I don't think this an accident, and I hope it touches your heart the way it did mine. My due date changes every time I have an ultrasound.  Yesterday it went from August 2 to the 6.  I was telling someone about that, and she said, "Oh, I won't forget that!  It's my birthday, and the feast of the Transfiguration".  If you don't get chills, I don't know what to say.  Seriously? God is so here!

No comments:

Post a Comment